Saturday, 24 November 2012

Bendy Bus; Bendy Boy!

Photo: Arriva 436
God bless those public transport enthusiasts for they are extraordinarily enthusiastic about cataloging their passion!  So, when I was looking for a picture for today's post and turned to 'bendy bus' on Wikipedia, I had a wealth of shots to choose from.  The world was my oyster or maybe my Oyster Card as in the end I played safe and settled on this rather nice red Transport for London number from the town of my birth.

My breaking news is not that I have decided to become a bus spotter outside the times when I need to catch one.  Then, as public transport users know, they are often as rare as rocking horse droppings.  No, my news today is far more significant.  In the week Louis had an assessment, the results of which are a big leap ahead in helping him overcome the challenges faced by having Specific Learning Differences.   And I'm proud to say that it was a member of my own profession who was instrumental in coming up with the goods!

Rather than being dyspraxic, my lovely son is super bendy because of hyper mobile joints. It accounts for why writing is difficult for him as he has a floppy thumb that doesn't support his pen properly.   The assessment demonstrated that when  he consciously tries to grip harder his hand hurt within a short period of time.  Rosie, the paediatric occupational therapist, explained that all this  floppiness  also affects   his ability to gauge where his body parts are in space so he has to move around to give himself sensory feedback.  The result?  The fidgety, clumsy and non attentive behaviour that his parents and teachers find so difficult.   But these  nubby problems can be solved.   Generally weight bearing through the joints will help Louis' development so that there will be less issues as he gets older.  I'll share what we come up with as we go along.  Furthermore his teacher is also being offered a visit by Rosie to his school to help him and his teachers get to grips with what might be helpful in the educational environment. At last this may be the breakthrough that we need where his needs are taken really seriously and I am not just seen as a neurotic middle class parent, as has been insinuated in the past!

5 comments:

  1. Glad Louis is getting the support he needs, it is infuriating that parental concerns are dismissed because of narrow mindedness. 'Every child matters' it is a pity the rhetoric doesn't always translate in practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must feel like Christmas has arrived early for you....... Thank goodness it has been picked up and can now be dealt with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The day I was told my eldest has Aspergers and ADHD I came out of CAMHS singing. It's that at last, thank you so much and told you so all rolled into one. I had been trying to get him diagnosed for four years. He's my kid I already love him whatevers wrong and it's not life threatening so from there on in it's just finding the ways to move forward. Hang in there.19 avigag

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took 33 years to get my son diagnosed with sensory integration syndrome. He has spent all his life being under educated because he was in special education and yet we discovered he had an IQ of 135 . He still has difficulties but the school did provide physio and speech therapy . Since the diagnosis we have been able to access help from a local charity for adults on the autistic spectrum. It's great that you are having help while your son will get the most benefit.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your kind comments. I am cheered by them and the diagnosis. Yay! there's a way through the murk! x

    ReplyDelete