Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Mouldy Cheese and Sour Milk Scones

Each lot of finished fruit and veg, emptied food packet and leftovers made good give me a tingle of pleasure, although not in a mucky 'Fifty Shades of Grey' kind of way.  I'll 'fess up to the occasional bit of food waste, a mildewy carrot or bit of leftover cream say, but it's a rare event that something is binned rather than eaten these days.  Apparently the household in the UK throws away fifty pounds worth of uneaten food a month and I'm certainly nowhere near this horrendous figure.  It's definitely way less than a fiver's worth and decreasing all the time as I get more and more canny.

Anyway I'm well proud of my latest creation made of stuff that wouldn't have passed muster as edible in 99% of homes.  My batch of scones were superlative, though I say so myself, even though they were made from a couple of ingredients that had nearly sprouted legs and could have marched themselves to the bin.  To replicate my amazing recipe take:

225g self raising flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
2oz butter  (in hindsight that was out of date too!)
7 tbsp of smelly past its sell by milk  (trust me your granny would have done the same thing)
4oz-ish grated vintage cheddar - and by vintage I mean mingon and covered with mould.  After a bit of thought I cut this off and didn't use it
Way more smoked paprika than you would have thought was required.  The lid fell off the jar` but trust me it worked!

1.  Heat oven to Gas Mark 7 or 220 degrees
2.  Blitz all ingredients together in food processor until clumped.
3. Roll out dough to an inch thick on a floured work surface, cut into circles with a glass jar and bake on an oiled tray for fifteen minutes.

Result: Amazing lush rounds of golden, red tinged loveliness that my kid has wolfed down despite his hatred of spicy food!

2 comments:

  1. Well done for your creativity - leftover recipes are so often the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a teenager and working in the kitchens of a restaurant, one of my first jobs was to whip a catering size box of cream (boy are they BIG). I overwhipped it and the boss said we would let it go off a bit and use it for scones. He always did that with cream that went "over". Your scones sound perfect. One of my favourite ways of using left over cheese!

    ReplyDelete