Saturday, 8 December 2012

Snuggly Sleep Forever

I think about death perhaps a little more than the average Josephine Public because of the nature of my work that brings me into contact with people at the end of their natural life.  For many, I privately jump for joy when they are released from the tortured state that dementia can sometimes bring.

And I contemplated my own journey away from this mortal coil briefly when very poorly last year.  I wasn't  the only one.  Louis asked  if he could turn me into a mummy if I died.  I blamed the school and their Egyptian themed term for that  rather bizarre request.

I've no intention of departing this earth in the near future. There's far too much that I want to do down here.  But if I did have to go up to my cloud in the sky I'd like to be wrapped in this cosy cocoon by local feltmaker Bellacouche.  So much cosier than a coffin..  And as I discovered in a pop up shop in Totnes yesterday, they make tea cosies too!

3 comments:

  1. I want to be in a wicker coffin! I have left instructions with my grown up son as to the music I want which is not at all funerial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had everything arranged for quite a while- the music and poetry have been chosen and I want a cardboard coffin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to a humanist service (is that the right word?) last year. My lovely friend had made all her own arrangements. I liked the way it was conducted, so for me that would be the way to go.

    ReplyDelete