Wednesday, 30 January 2013

Dangly Make Number One

Even though I decided not to make any New Year's resolutions this year, I always want to be making more stuff.  So secretly deep down I'd like to finish a crafting project every month.  It looks like February is already the bag as I'm off on a weekend  printmaking course with Red Mel.  If you'd have asked me at the end of December I'd have said that that knuckling down to creativity in January would be tricky.  After all I had a very disorganised study to clear.

How wrong I was!  Once my workspace was spin, span and ordered I was off, though not in a way where I reverted to old bad habits.   I now tackle one thing at a time rather than having a plethora of half baked projects on the go all at once.  There's a shelf assigned where I keep the stuff needed just for the thing I'm working on.  Everything else is be tucked out of eyesight and temptation's way.

Yay! I've found a strategy that seems to work.  Last year I bought a couple of simple ceramic birds in a charity shop for £1.50.  Loosely inspired by Kirstie Allsopp's decoupage birdie  I thought I'd create something similar but decorated with mosaic rather than paper. My lovely robin, that Louis has caught me talking to affectionately, is the result.  And he's completely complete just before the first month of the year is over.

In the preliminary stages of construction, he was lucky to survive as I nearly threw it against the wall in frustration.   I usually use  PVA glue to stick mosaic tiles to their backing but this surface was too smooth and curvy for them to stay in place and they sort of dribbled off. That gravity thing is a bugger! Yet once I'd cracked open the superglue everything went tickety boo except  for a minor hiccup.  Now I have a pair of good quality Richardson scissors whose blades have inexpicably been welded together with the stuff.  Any suggestions to rescue them will be gratefully received.

By the way, birdie's beak was fashioned out of Fimo.  The poor dear's original one would have been nearly buried due to the thickness of the tiles.  For some reason that old joke about toothless budgies sucking seed is coming to mind.   Scrap Fimo was also used to make a seal for a hole in the bird's base which I then tiled over.   I'm kind of chuffed that the only expenditure that I incurred was £1.19 on a packet of white grout to which I added colour with a splash of Quink Ink.  All the other materials were things that I used up from around the house.

I toyed with the idea of making wire legs but don't really have flat surfaces available for displaying any more ornaments.  So I've made a hanger out of strong beading wire which is hidden away under the grout. There's a mad idea brewing, a sort of an all year round Christmas tree with lights, on which I can display crafts in different media, It would be like a 3D homage to a sampler but whackier.

Now what next?  There's another identically shaped bird that could well become a kingfisher.  Do I keep the mosaic stuff out to hand or shall I pack it all away for later on in the year and instead dig out the sewing machine and rustle up something fabric related just to ring the changes?   I promise you though, that in the meantime, there will be no posts about half made stuff.  You'll only see what I decided to do next once my work is done and dusted!

1 comment:

Andrea@Familyconnect said...

He looks like a very friendly little fellow, well done you.