Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Gaps

You can know things superficially or you can really KNOW them. I've had a revelation, not quite on the scale of olden days prophets  but it's a pretty big one.  Thankfully my awakening isn't of a quasi-religious kind.  I'm not going off to follow a small, but wise monkey god on a remote Indonesian island who demands that I worship him butt naked, dressed in only a fruity garland.  No, what has really dawned on me is that there are only twenty four hours in the day and therefore a finite amount of time to do things. Wow!

With this knowledge I've decided to pare back what I do to the absolute essentials, leaving gaps for the other things.    I wondered if this would make my life less frantic and ultimately more productive. But there's a rub.  Yesterday I decided to put this technique to the test but after feeding me and Lou, childcare, a bit of household stuff, work, putting diesel in the car and paperwork there was no time left.  Not a  sausage, not even a small cocktail one on a stick.

I'll continue my time and motion over the next week.  Today looks fractionally better.  At least I've had time for a morning cuppa and to blog. Yesterday I'd scheduled ahead and didn't even do that.  If this is a consistent pattern then life needs even more of a radical rethink than I thought.  I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

  1. I like gaps, but, there is always something to fill them. I just cannot sit still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaps - that's the time left for sleeping, surely? I'm out of the house for 12 hours a day 5 times a week. I struggle to find time for othe things. Good luck with your endeavours. x

    ReplyDelete