Sunday, 24 February 2013

Move Over Dan Brown, Margaret Atwood et al.

Here's a little frivolity for all you bloggers and anyone else whose writing takes them in different directions altogether.  Whilst procrastinating instead of hoovering yesterday I Stumbled Upon a website that gave me a good half hour of amusement and an extra few more when I came back to edit this piece.  'I Write Like'  analyses a bit of your own work, say two or three paragraphs that make up a post, and comes up with the famous author whose style matches your own.  Can I really be Dan Brown and Margaret Atwood combined and if so, why am I not making as much money as them?  And bloody hell!  James Joyce came up when I fed in my Spanish Tippling Tips post.  Isn't that just because I mentioned the subject of alcohol and he was partial to more than a shot or two?

I wasn't acquainted with Cory Doctorow, or Anne Rice but I am now.  And as I hadn't heard of them are they copying me rather than it being the other way around? Published authors and should know really know better than that!   I think that my finest accolade is that my work has been compared to  one William Gibson, previously unknown to me, who is described by Wikipedia as the 'noir prophet of the cyberpunk genre'.  That I like - uber cool sounding even if I haven't got a clue what it's supposed to mean.

As a final act of time wasting I've just shoved the two paragraphs above into the site's text box to see what it churns out.  I'm a little perplexed that I'm now being compared with H P Lovecraft and not for the first time.  He's another whose stories have passed me by. Perhaps I've wasn't paying attention somewhere along the line.  This chap is regarded as one of the most influential horror writers of the 20th century!   Strange really when I consider that the printing workshop that I'd written about was calm, relaxing and not at all scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment