Saturday, 23 March 2013

The Hopeful Hiker

This is the Southern Terminus of the Appalachian Trail.  I stood here sixteen years ago in pouring rain determined to reach the other end at Mount Katadhin in Maine over 2,000 miles away. Alas, it was not to be.  Mr Lovelygrey cracked a bone in his knee some 600 miles in, and in an flash our hike was over.

I thought that my long distance walking days might behind me due to intense foot pain but today I excitedly picked up some custom made insoles from  the friendly folk at Foot Solutions in Plymouth.  You may remember that this purchase has was motivated by the death of a former hiking companion from Motor Neurone Disease.Disease.   A couple of weeks ago  I had a comprehensive assessment and a pair of insoles with what look like unfeasibly high arch supports to match my unfeasibly high arches have arrived from the United States.

Fingers crossed that they'll do the trick.    Let me start out with a few day hikes first and I'll let you know if I'm painfree after more than a hour or so of walking.  If so, I'll set off with my backpack for my longer Lori Salzarulo Memorial Walk.  I know she would have loved this.

4 comments:

  1. That picture is scary. Looks like a body hanging from a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi lovelygrey.
    I will be very interested to hear how you get on with your insoles! I have been wearing a pair from FootSolutions in Richmond, London for about 5 months now.
    Mixed results - on the one hand, a massive improvement on where I was before (much foot pain in the heel due to plantar fasciitis, and then the sides of the feet as I unsconsciously attempted to put the pressure elsewhere).
    On the other hand, I'm not 100% back to where I was before, there are a few niggles in 'wearing in' the insoles, and I am frustrated at only being able to buy (expensive) shoes from FootSolutions. But I may just be being impatient...
    So as I say, I'll be interested to hear how you get on, though of course no two feet are equal etc... and we probably have completely different issues to start with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria

    Day three - there are some discomfort niggles as the shop predicted but I'm getting used to the insoles bit by bit. I get what you say about the shoes at Foot Solutions. They are very expensive but have sourced the trainers that I liked online for a third cheaper. Also the nice posh shoes from Wolky can be sourced from the continent at a much cheaper price.

    ReplyDelete