Sunday, 28 April 2013

Definitely Dangerous Toy of the 1950s

Photo: ORAU.org
In researching my rather good (though I say so myself!) post about the everyday dangers confronting a child in the 1970s, I came across this 'must have' toy from the 1950s. I have to say, at this point, that I was not a girlie little girl.  Yes, I had dollies but used them for dark purposes beyond what their manufacturers might have .  My sweet baby with her blond hair and long lashes was not cuddled, swaddled and mothered in a conventional sense. No, I drew a flower around her 'weeing hole' and she made a rather good water pistol. What would an educational psychologist thought of that?  And the dolls house was not lovingly furnished with tiny items made of matchboxes.  I got bored with that in twenty minutes flat.  Instead it was the storehouse for all my potions, made from common household chemicals.

So, it will not come as a surprise  if I say my tomboy younger self would have loved one of this kits and probably have found novel uses for the 'real' radioactive material that it contained.  Miniature atomic bombs for use when my siblings hacked me off perhaps.  Sadly they were only available from 1951-52.  The reason is not explained.  Perhaps the rather angelic boy on the box developed a third eye!

1 comment:

  1. I would have loved that to play with!! I wonder what was in those bottles! Like you I had alternative uses for my girlie toys. My doll's pram was used as a cat transporter. I used to wheel my cat Charlie all over the garden. My best ever toy was a magician's set. Had so much fun playing tricks (which I'm sure everybody could see through) with it. Think what I could have done with an atomic bomb!!

    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete