Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Once

Niles: "A funny thing happened the other day. One of my patients had a rather amusing Freudian slip.  He was having dinner with his wife and he meant to say "Pass the salt," but instead he said "You've ruined my life, you blood-sucking shrew."

Yes, a quote from Frasier which has to rate as one of my favourite comedy series of all times.  Perhaps I like it so much because I work alongside psychiatrists and the programme got some of the character traits of many of them off to a tee!  

Enough said before I get myself into hot water.  What I really want to talk about is that I've found out that the average Briton now changes their suites seven times in a lifetime.  I'm horrified and I'm sure that Martin Crane, the wisest character in Frasier, would be too.   Homes don't need  constant creative makeovers to match current fashion.  Carefully chosen pieces stand the test of time.  Not like those cheapie sofas I've written about previously which look shabby after months.  Don't always be tempted by cheap and cheerful.  It will cost more in the long term. The mantra for today when it comes to furniture purchase is Buy wisely, go with your own taste rather than fashion and aim to spend on those household essentials just once.

2 comments:

  1. My wife and I are currently couch surfing. (Her rattan suite is looking rather sad and I must say, is rather uncomfortable). We're taking our time, saving up. We want the perfect couch set - not the cheap crap we'll be replacing in a few months. We want the stuff that will be with us for years. Just like the stuff my parents had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a basic level you should buy this type of thing as infrequently as possible as it's the most boring yet annoying type of shopping in the land, right up there with shoes.

    ReplyDelete