Friday, 7 June 2013

Buying Time

I found myself saying earlier in the week that I would be spending the weekend conducting a massively late spring clean of Lovelygrey Cottage.  Eeek! What is the world coming to when my plans for a sunny Saturday and Sunday consist of wielding a duster?  So, I've given myself a stern talking to and decided to head off to the Big Smoke instead.  There's been something I've been wanting to do there for a while and heck, life is too short to spend precious great lumps of spare time cleaning away dust that's just going to return with a vengeance  in a couple of weeks.

In order to make this trip as pleasurable as possible I haven't gone for the cheapest rail ticket option but have forked out for an off peak day return that doesn't restrict the trains that I travel on.  That way I won't be rushing around like a blue arsed wotsit to get back to Paddington or spending a couple of hours hanging around staring at a sculpture of a favourite childhood bear.  I've gone against the grain and decided to stump up a rather reasonable £3.70 to park all day at Newton Abbot station too rather than doing my usual trick of hunting around for a free spot nearby.  After all I might be back late and don't fancy a trudge through dark streets at stupid o' clock back to the car.

My take on thrifty is around making my money work best for me. Of course, lots of the times this might involve bagging the cheapest or indeed an entirely free option.  But, as in this case, it ain't necessarily so.  Careful thought goes into my spending.  I want a relatively expensive day out to be as pleasant as it can be and don't mind paying a bit extra in this case to make some rare free time as precious as possible.

2 comments:

  1. It is good to have a day of pure enjoyment, even if you do have to pay out a little extra. It is like a small gift to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, sometimes, pressing the easy button for the sake of a couple of quid is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete