Monday, 24 June 2013

Noticing

It was  well over a month ago  I said that I'd be having little chats in future posts about 'The Five Ways to Wellbeing' book, a rather marvellous booklet produced by my employer, Devon Partnership NHS Trust.  Even with my propensity for procrastination I thought I'd get round to it sooner.  Ho hum!  Life is always so busy and I refuse to start beating myself up about tardiness when things are urgent in the first place.

This lovely image from  the Action for Happiness Facebook page spurred me into action.  'I'll know how I'll use that.' I thought. 'Let's talk about one of the 'Five a Day' that isn't a carrot or an apple.

Being me I'm not going to start with the first topic in the booklet but I'll skip around like a demented kangaroo and consider Step 4 first.  After all, I can do what I like.  It's my blog.

You can foster wellbeing by noticing the world around you - even on a Monday which is purported by some to be the crappiest day of the week.  The booklet sums up how to do this rather nicely:

'Be curious. Catch sight of the beautiful. Remark on the unusual. Notice the changing seasons. Savour the moment, whether you are walking to work, eating lunch or talking to friends. Be aware of the world around you and what you are feeling. Reflecting on your experiences will help you appreciate what matters to you. 

My jolly helpful local camping supplier didn't have any idea where I might get a replacement gas hose for my motorhome.  And why would they?  It's a twenty year old Germanic oddity.  The lack of an instant solution to what is turning out to be a nubbier problem than I anticipated might have peeved me off.  Instead I got the peepers working and spied their caravan inspired bird feeder in the car park.  That perked me up no end!

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen Three Beautiful Things? It's a noticing diary - no matter how bad the day is, Clare always finds three noteworthy moments.

    Inspired by Clare, I have done my own off and on for the last few years and it really has improved my "wellbeing" - framing observing/journalling in a positive light instead of my more naturally negative one.

    Love the caravan bird feeder - a really cute beautiful thing :)

    ReplyDelete