Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Did Your Nana Have One of These?

As someone with a love of 1950s retro, I've hankered after one of these larder cabinets for years and now this one, with its rare built-in retro clock and lovely speckled glass is mine, all mine!  Not that it's got pride of place in the dining room at the moment as it's in a rather sad state as its Ebay photo attests.  It needs a paint job; I'm thinking high gloss cream and aubergine to match that big open plan kitchen diner at Great Tit's House where it will eventually reside.  There's also a matter of new handles; 95mm D-shaped chrome ones would grace it beautifully.  There's shelves to cover in a ditsy print and intricate hinges to polish. Those are pretty easy jobs but there's also work that's going to extend my restoration skills like a bit of tricky filling and a panel or two to replace where plywood has come apart.  Eeek!

Have I bitten off more than I can chew?  My first thought when it arrived was that I may have done.  But I am crafty,  I have a shedload of tools  and there's always Ehow and YouTube to guide me through the nifty techniques that I haven't tried yet.  Yes, I am ready for this challenge but it will stretch my DIY skills to the max!

6 comments:

  1. My Nana had a yellow one in her very small scullery. The fold down part was the only available workspace. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Nana also had a yellow one. I am very jealous, but I'm sure you will be able to sort it out. It just takes time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mum had a yellow one too - I think that was one of the standard factory colours. Top shelf always held Birtds Custard and Lyle's Golden Syrup, a tin of Colman's Mustard and a packet of Bisto. aaah!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My nana did not have one, but I still want one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had one at home until the eighties. Mum and dad got rid of nothing until it was on its last legs! A great project for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really jealous. I'd love one of those. My mum had a blue and cream one and how I wish we'd brought it home with us when we cleared out her house after she died eight years ago.

    ReplyDelete