Tuesday, 6 August 2013

Learning the Lingo FREE!

I've pretty much finalised the itinerary for our motorhome road trip between the Brittany Ferries ports of  Santander and Roscoff.  Initial plans for visits to either the Pyrenees or the Picos de Europa mountain ranges have been scrapped.  I've bitten off rather a lot with the long drive without adding in some switchbacks and a few mountain passes.  Let's save those for when I've got a few more experiential miles under the belt.  

The trip is now going to take in the Northern Spanish coast and a meander up the edge of Western France.  It will include a long awaited visit to the Guggenheim at Bilbao.  There'll be a  couple of nights in a  French town called Saintes that I'd never heard, but looks well worth a visit for its Roman remains. Theme parks have been off the radar for a couple of years so I thought I'd throw in a visit to Futuroscope, the multimedia theme park in the Poitou Charente region. We'll also be resting our bones at a couple of well-equipped Yelloh Village campsites and exploring their environs by bike.  After all, aren't holidays meant to be about recharging the batteries?  I'm not going to be doing that if I'm driving a great bit hulk of metal relentlessly each day.

My French language skills are okay, ta beaucoup but I've only very limited knowledge of Spanish which,  of course, includes the word cerveza.  So it was with glee that I've found the area of the BBC's website that has some rather good free language courses.  I'll save polishing up my French but it will be helpful to get cracking on beginner's Spanish straightaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment