Sunday, 25 August 2013

Motivated by the Moomins

We're off on the ferry to Spain today so you'd expect the picture that goes with this post to be of say, the Guggenheim at Bilbao.  Why the ruddy hell then is there a Moomin?  What possible link could this have to my holiday?

Well I've had Moomins on my mind since I watched a BBC 4 programme about their creator Tove Jansson last Christmas.  Unfortunately it's not still available on the i-player at the moment but no doubt it will come round again, although not as frequently as old episodes of The Good Life or Dad's Army.  Watching the programme means that the Moominland books are on my reading list so I can spot the hidden meaning that lies within that went over my head as a child.  And I want a Moomin in my home.  A print of this picture would do.  I think it would fit in nicely with my retro furniture, methinks in the dining room hanging opposite my charcoal nudes!

So I've promised myself that I can have it, but there's a catch.  It'll be a reward for losing half a stone in weight.  And despite ongoing knee problems (I collapsed in a yelping heap in the front garden again yesterday). the pounds are slowly dropping off.  And I want them to stay off during my holiday, a time of traditional overindulgence on the food and drink front when pounds are piled onto the waistline.  So, this chubby little Moomin is a reminder to myself of what might come my way shortly after my trip is over if I lay off the pastries and the wine.

5 comments:

  1. Have you read the Summer Book by Tove Jannson? It's a lovely read. There's also a Winter Book but I haven't read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAve a fantastic holiday!!! hope you enjoy the Guggenheim. I was there a few years ago - I enjoyed watching the exterior in the rain very much - very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have loved moomins since I was a child and quite often re read the books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Moomins. A friend recently made me a beautiful little Moomintroll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, couldn't you wait to think about weight loss AFTER vacation - maybe only over-indulge every second day while you're away?!

    ReplyDelete