Friday, 20 September 2013

Nine Standards: Part Two: Yay I Made It!

One, Two, Three, Four Five, Six, Seven, Nine cairns of unknown origin photographed at Nine Standards rig on Wainwright's Coast to Coast walk at about 10:15 this morning.  I tackled the climb up all alone with no-one to talk to but the sheep and the tinier waymarking cairns.  On the way down I met long distance trail hikers of all sorts of nationalities.  Most had started off late after what may have been a good night out in Kirkby Stephen.

This was definitely a high point in more ways than one  of the longest and hardest yomp that I've tackled for a good three years or so since the time that ill health set in.  I'm pleased to note that one online description of this 9-10 mile jaunt describes it as strenuous.  I can provide confirmation that it blooming well was not a picnic in the park.  But it was oh so worth it and I'm dead proud of myself.

3 comments:

  1. Thanking you Toffeeapple. I'm proud. What would have been a little trek in the past was a major accomplishment now. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I would love to do a hike like that, especially one that has an attraction at the end!

    ReplyDelete