Monday, 9 September 2013

Wanting to Be More Bendy

Aaargh!  Back to work today after a fortnight off.  But it's not all bad.  For a start I really quite like my job and my lovely, kind, funny colleagues.  Additionally I'm only there for a week before going off on my travels again to a previously unexplored region of the UK. Bad time management, using up all that annual leave at once I know, but it had  to be.

In the meantime Week 2 of my free Coursera module, Creativity, Innovation and Change, has come online and I'm looking forward to getting cracking later today.  I can really recommend this way of learning.  My particular course suggests different depths of study depending on the commitment and time that you want to invest.

So what have I learnt so far?  Well for starters, failure doesn't have to be linked to self esteem at all!  One of the concepts introduced is that of 'Intelligent Fast Failure' encouraging risk taking and step-wise failure as part of the innovative process. Let's all get out there and cock things up for the sake of advancement.   The introductory material has also prompted me to do a bit of constructive navel gazing, thinking about what I really want from life.  I've identified that there's a central theme of flexibility that runs through my hopes and dreams.  My current conventional lifestyle where I'm tied to one place and employed by others isn't the direction I want to go in.   At the same time I've got to preserve the stability that my child needs whilst he's growing up.   A tricky balancing act indeed and one that I hope to explore in the project that I've decided to complete for the course.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed by how much you manage to fit in. I like the idea of study, but on top of full-time work - I'd struggle. Good luck with your course.

    ReplyDelete