Sunday, 29 September 2013

Yummy Feast!


How retro does this look?  The Ercol dining suite and the whacky table mats!  The idea of a feast to place on it started a couple of days ago with a text from Red Mel.  'I have yummy veggie curry.  Shall I bring it over  on Saturday?'  Well, how could a girl refuse?

A less ambitious person might have just put a pot of rice onto the boil but I thought I'd push the boat out a little bit further.  I decided that it was time to grasp the woolly bully by the horns and use that chapati flour that I'd bought in Lidl yonks ago when they had a bit of an Indian flavoured theme going on. And then there was lamb mince in the freezer so I felt that a meaty accompaniment was in order.



Now chapati are a breeze - technically that is.  It's certainly not a cooling activity for a menopausal woman.  All that high heat and rolling out is hot flush inducing stuff.  But boy is it worth it particularly as I've just looked at the first restaurant in my local Just-Eat listings and found out that a single chapati would set me back 85p.    I reckon the whole batch can't have cost that much.
Take chapati flour, add salt and enough water to form a soft dough.  Knead well and then divide into balls.  Roll out and then pop in a hot frying pan or onto a griddle for a minute each side until the surface starts to get those dark little dots.  300g of flour made 12 chapatis.



A pound of lamb mince (reduced to £2.05 in the Coop) made seven kebab.  I mixed the meat with a small minced onion, two minced garlic cloves and a knob of minced ginger, one teaspoon of garam masala, chopped coriander, two eggs, salt and pepper.  You'll note that this doesn't have a chilli kick because Louis was eating with us but add heat to your own taste. Nothing more to do but squish the mixture onto skewers and then griddle on my worktop grill which handily cooks both sides of the meat at once.




And onto Louis' contribution to the feast!  If you don't cook you don't eat in my house.  Yesterday he learnt to make pavlova, a lifelong cooking skill that will be sure to impress the ladies once he shows an interest in them.  He topped meringue made from three eggs whites and 150g of sugar with cream, strawberries and a crumbled Daim bar.  It's a combination that wasn't half bad!

2 comments:

  1. I also made chappatis at the weekend, but the recipe I found said add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the flour. I wonder if this is where I went wrong.

    How did he do in his 11 plus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No oil for me. My recipe said that you could put a little butter on after cooking to keep moist. Mmmmm butter!

    11 plus: Who knows? Small boys keep things close to their chest. We'll see on results day, the 19th October.

    ReplyDelete