Friday, 11 October 2013

Squash Doubles


It's starting to feel positively autumnal.  There's a nip in the air but I'm resisting turning that central heating dial.  Who needs a hot home when a hearty supper can warm you up!  And what vegetable fits the bill more appropriately than a yummy squash!  Seeing that I've been on my ownsome for the last couple of days just one of the butternut variety provided me with supper on both evenings.  Firstly I  baked my halved deseeded squash in the oven at Gas Mark 5 190 degrees celsius for about an hour with a knob of butter and a twist of pepper.


Whilst the squash was in the oven I fried some chopping smoked streaky bacon and grated some proper vintage cheddar. These were mixed with the softened scooped out flesh of the squash when it had cooked.  Once I'd accomplished this complicated culinary feat  I popped half the mixture back into the squash skin and baked it for another fifteen minutes.  Et voila!  Meal number 1 that tastes just as delicious as it looks.  The rest of the squash mix went in the fridge.



Behold, I give you easy-peasy meal number two! In a pan I warmed through the rest of the mix and softened some chopped greens at the same time.  These were mixed up and removed from the pan which was then washed up ready to be put to use again for the second stage of the process.

I added some oil to my clean pan and popped in a wheat tortilla sandwich filled with my squash/greens mix. There was nothing more to do than brown both sides and supper was ready.  Now this really was the biz!

2 comments:

  1. I think I may have had the wrong approach to squash - cooking it first then removing the flesh is probably far easier than hacking at it uncooked. Thanks yummy meal ideas. Claire/Just a little less :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enlightenment indeed! Cook first then scoop - no more fingertip amputations or bloody / messy worktops!!!
    I have added butternut squash to my shopping list again.

    ReplyDelete