Tuesday, 5 November 2013

In the Frostie Danger Zone

Last year I mused on a brainwave that I'd had and  suggested that we can train our bodies to adapt to living at a lower temperature.  It may not be one to try at home if you are poorly or elderly but for the averagely fit and healthy among us it's got to one to add to the tool box of energy saving tips.

As the winter approached in 2012, I optimistically equipped the house with blankets and bought extra woolly pullies.  Then the thermostat was set at a rather balmy, or barmy depending on your viewpoint,  17 degrees.  I have to say that, even for a menopausal middle aged woman, who sees hot flushes as a fuel saving tactic, it was a bit cold  when not snuggled up under those insulating layers.  Louis moaned a bit too much  as well.  So the ambient temperature at Lovelygrey Cottage snuck up to an acceptable 18.5 degrees.

Seeing that this temperature was pretty comfortable I'm a bit bemused at government guidance that recommends heating living rooms to a totally tropical twenty one degrees.  Are they in league with those big bad power companies who are trying to fleece us?  Or is it just that advice is being doled out by a whole bunch of Walter Softies who haven't hardened themselves up so they're comfortable at a temperature which is way,way above what would melt Frostie?

3 comments:

  1. That's almost 70F, a temperature at which a lot of Brits are complaining that it's too hot in the summer!I recently heard on television that we used to heat our homes to 12C but that temperature has risen to 18C. I haven't yet used any form of heating,as I'm warm enough dressed in a couple of layers and using a lap blanket in the evening.We had our first frost yesterday morning - I got up and threw all the windows wide open as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be unable to breathe at 21C, 19C is a bit too much for me. I start of the winter with the thermostat set to 15C and only increase that if I am totally unable to stay warm.

    I remember my childhood in Wales, the only heating was a coal fire, so we all sat around it and got burnt shins and shivery backs. I am grateful for central heating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the 21 degree camp. We are out of the house for 10 hours a day during work so leave the heat turned way down then, and lower overnight. But breakfast time and early evening, yep, 21 for sure. When I go outdoors in the summer, 21 is comfortable if it is sunny and not windy, but it can be cool enough for a jacket in the shade! Of course our winters range from -15 to +2 degrees so it takes several hours to warm up the house when the heat has been turned down.

    ReplyDelete