Monday, 18 November 2013

Where does it Come From

My blog is eclectic but hats off to Jack Douglas, the author of the book in the middle of this lot.  I salute him for his ability to mix and match subject matter way more inventively than I can!

Oddly enough there's seven days in this week and I have an idea for just one post.  That's pretty typical.  When I first started 'lovely grey day' I had about fifteen subjects to write about, a proper 'back of an envelope job', although mine might have been written on an old greetings card.  I'm telling you all this because I want to encourage anyone out there who's considering their own little blogging adventure but doesn't think that they'll have anything to say.   Now from that small seed of inspiration I've written over a thousand posts, a figure which I find hard to believe myself.   Here's where my ideas come from.

  • Things that you see and hear when going about your ordinary business.  It's surprising how much more observant that you become when you're looking for something to write about.  See this earlier quote from Zadie Smith' that inspires me to keep going.
  • Out of the ordinary events and special occasions.
  • Times when life doesn't go quite according to plan!
  • What other people do;  family, friends and complete strangers.  Kids are a particularly rich source of material.
  • What you see and hear on multimedia sources, the TV, Radio and the Internet.  
  • Sharing things made by yourself and others.
  • Stuff conjured up in the old noggin:  odd thoughts, lists, reflections, grumbles .......
So let me use the words of Mrs Doyle from Father Ted to encourage you to take the leap.

'Go on, go on, go on, go on, GO ON!'

PS Books, I forgot books!

3 comments:

  1. Over a thousand - wow, congrats!I seem to get out 2-3 posts a week at best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I need to borrow one of those ideas from you. Well done to reach the 1,000

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done!
    I could never think of starting my own blog.

    ReplyDelete