Friday, 20 December 2013

Take a 10A Scalpel


It doesn't hurt to dream a bit.  What goes on in my old noggin is fantastical and almost certainly delusional at times.  Now, thanks to Toffeeapple, one of my lovely followers, I have equipped myself with a scalpel handle and 10a surgical blades and now think that someday I will be able to produce intricate marine themed papercut designs, possibly like this one by Sarah Dennis, within about a week or so.  I will then sell them for a song and be able to give up the day job for a life of financially rewarding creative bliss.  That's not too unrealistic is it?!
Let's come back to earth with a pretty decisive bump and show you exactly where I'm actually am with learning this intriguing craft.  Here's my first papercut fish, made over the last couple of evenings. From a beginner's perspective I'm quite pleased with him although if you look close up there's a couple of tears and a multitude of fluffy edges.  I'm certainly not in competition with those clever commercial artists and it doesn't look like that I will be for a long time yet.  So, now back to the cutting board and hone my slicing skills with another project.  Something Christmassy perhaps?

4 comments:

  1. I love the fish! And for a beginner think he's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fish is very good - I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Youe fish is lovely; well done for your first project. I really don't think I'd have the patience, so I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enlarged your picture and to be honest with you, there is very little to complain about in your fish. You will get used to the pressure you need to use and how to handle the scalpel. Practice makes perfect, remember. I can see you enjoying this for years to come and if you do sell them, don't do it cheaply!

    ReplyDelete