Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Thought for the Day: The Big Fish in the Little Pond Called Earth


I don't really know what to say about this interesting spider diagram that I came across that shows all the brands that 10 giant companies own.  All those weird and wonderful group structures that you see haven't come about by accident.  Trust me, I used to be a tax consultant.

Now seeing that I'm a bit of a pinko leftie you might expect me to get on my high horse and say 'Look these greedy multi-nationals have taken over the world.  That's dreadful.  Now just make sure you ban every brand here from your  trolley and pop down to your local farm shop instead.' But I'm not going to do that.  Firstly it's impossible and rather more importantly I like Toblerone far too much! Also you cannot deny the positive economic impact that these companies have on the lives of thousands and thousands of people around the world who rely on them for jobs, some of which I hope that are well paid and rewarding.  Some of you might point out that there's probably exploitation as well and I won't deny this.  Let's just say that being a small employer doesn't necessarily make someone treat people fairly and pay a working wage either.

This is another example of how so much of what we encounter cannot be viewed in terms of black or white.  It's inevitable that those big players, who're not bad through and through, will be part and parcel of our everyday lives.  But perhaps it comes as a reminder to make room for those little guys, that we know to be ethical, who have much less marketing clout when we're choosing to spend our money.


No comments:

Post a Comment