Monday, 23 December 2013

Thought for the Day: On Gifting

With the festive season upon us, I'm passing on a lesson that I had to learn for myself.  If you can adopt it yourself it may save a bit of heartache. Once upon a time I gave away  a rather lovely, but sadly non microwaveable, set of Habitat crockery to my brother.    Within a short space of time he'd passed it on to another friend, most probably because he'd acquired a microwave himself. Although I didn't tell him at the time, this rendered me cross and upset.  Grrrr!

But why?  Well the problem was that I'd retained part ownership of the stuff in my head and there were unspoken conditions attached to my gift.   So as the realisation of this dawned on me, I developed a new philosophy on gifting.  Now, I'm happy for people to do what they will with presents that I've given them.  I let go completely. Sure, I'd prefer it if they loved and cherished an item but if they want to use it in a way I hadn't intended, send it to the charity shop or hell, even burn it that's perfectly fine too.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way. I do put some effort into selecting appropriate gifts, but if it doesn't hit the mark - I have a "no attachment" policy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easier said than done, although I agree with you. I had a friend who would list her xmas gifts on ebay on boxing day. That was hard to take, so I stopped buying her anything.

    ReplyDelete