Sunday, 29 December 2013

Tiropites: Pastry Origami




I haven't done a cookery post for some time now.  It's not that I've been stuffing my face with ready meals, just that I've been preparing rather simple fayre that I didn't think really justified being recipe-ised.  Let's leave giving out recipes for egg and chips to the likes of Heston Blummenthal.

But I thought that just in time for New Year's Eve I'd share the recipe for these Greek treats, tiropites which have been a stable for years when I've needed to rustle up some canapes. They look like a complete pfaff but they're easy peasy.




First pre-heat the oven to 200 degree celsius or Gas Mark 6. Take 200g each of crumbled feta and cottage cheese, mix with some fresh mint, a good shake of fresh parsley, lashings of pepper and two eggs and mix in a bowl.  I know it looks like lumpy wallpaper paste but trust me!  I am a therapist after all.


Now take a packet of filo pastry out of its packet and cut into three long strips.  You can brush each with a little butter as I did on the first layer but forgot thereafter.  Bejesus!  the original recipe in the otherwise excellent Meze Cooking  by Sarah Maxwell calls for 250g of the stuff.  You'd need a defibrillator close to hand if you cooked like that very often!  I used probably 25g of melted butter. Anyway blob a generous teaspoonful of the cheesy mixture at the bottom of each strip and then....



Fold the top layer over into a triangle....




.and again and again and again and again.......



.....until you get something that looks like this. Then you can seal the end with a dab of butter.  Make more dinky little folded triangles until the filo pastry runs out.  You should get 18 if you use Jusrol.  Stick on a lightly greased baking tray and cook for approximately 20-25 minutes until golden brown like the top picture.  Best served warm!

2 comments:

  1. You seem to have two eggs, twice in that recipe m'dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops - to err is human! Sorted. x

    ReplyDelete