Monday, 20 January 2014

Four by Four


Louis and I had a whole lot of fun yesterday at the Devon Guild of Craftsmen in Bovey Tracey. The latest exhibition there, 'Narrative Remains' explores the relationship between words and making.  'Oh sh*t' is the phrase that comes to mind as I consider the link when it comes to my own crafting activity.  There always seems to be some sort of disaster to overcome.  The sticking plaster that is on my index finger from an aborted effort at cutting my own mount to display a print attests to this.

Anyway one of the exhibitors Alex Valentine, who've I've just discovered is a musician as well as a visual artist, has pared down poems to a sixteen letter stanza created using a Boggle board.  He's then photographed the results with contextual backgrounds.  You can see more of the results here.


The gallery have installed a great big Boggle board so that you can come up with some succinct ditties of your own.  Just when I think that there's no hope for Louis and that he's always going to be tapping away frantically on some electronic device or other, he surprise me. I struggled to get him away from those giant wooden blocks and over to the park for a walk in the sunshine (yes, there was sunshine!).  He was absolutely hooked.



Here's one of his many efforts which can't be attributable to Louis alone.  I helped with many and there seemed to be rather a lot of audience participation with other visitors and yes, gallery staff members getting involved as well.  And the slightly addictive word game continued long after we emerged to take some fresh air.  How about this one?

LIAR
GETS
PANT
FIRE

1 comment: