Thursday, 2 January 2014

So Near and Yet So Far

For the last two months my little heart has been pounding with excitement at the thought of finally entering La Sagrada Familia, Gaudi's unfinished masterpiece of a cathedral bang smack in the centre of my newest favourite city of Barcelona.  Just looking at the pictures on Wikipedia caused my post menopausal loins to stir. Believe me, without supplementary hormones that I'm sure must be disappearing at the speed of sound, it takes a lot to do that these days.

And today was the day when I  was suppose to have marvelled in a beatific way.  We arrived at the candy topped edifice only to find a queue snaking around the block and an assertive Spanish lady sending us on our way with a request that we book online another time. Do we go back tomorrow laden with luggage?  We've decided not to spoil the experience by replicating beasts of burden so we'll wait until our next visit.  So instead I bring you a snap that Louis took in the gift shop of a must-have model replica.  For now that will have to suffice.


2 comments:

  1. That's a shame. I did the same thing visiting The last Supper at
    Convent of Santa Maria della Grazie, Milan. Didn't book online beforehand and couldn't get in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a swizz! I expect you'll get over the disappointment though.26956825

    ReplyDelete