Sunday, 16 February 2014

That's Devore!

One of the wonders of being alive is that you never know what each day will bring.  Mama and Papa Lovelygrey are here for the first part of half term.  I did know that I'd  be taking them to Brixham to show off my future home that's conveniently without tenants for a few days.  What I didn't expect was that the former occupants have left behind a jolly useful capacious shed that will be ideal for our bikes!

In the afternoon, I expected to drop Louis off at the Scout Hut for his weekly Gang Show rehearsal.  However, I didn't fully anticipate what hanging around for coffee with Crafty Kerry would bring.



After a lovely catch up natter at the Flying Pig Cafe cum sweetshop,  it was pretty inevitable that we'd head off over the the Devon Guild of Craftsmen.  When you're in Bovey Tracey it's rude not to!  I wanted to show Kerry the Boggle themed exhibit by Alex Valentine that I posted about a couple of weeks ago. We tittered a bit at the latest offering 'MAKE YOUR FART LAST'. Then joy of joys we were invited to join in a craft demonstration that was in full swing in the main gallery.



Caroline Hall makes wonderful garments using a technique called devore (pronounced de -vore-ray and yes there should be an accent on the end).  A design is drawn onto  a piece of white velvet made from silk with a rayon pile using a chemical gloop.Then by some process that is nigh-on alchemy with an iron and lots of buckets, the pile is burnt away leaving a sheer pattern. A couple of dunks in blue and orange dye later and the result is stunning.  A shimmering piece of  fabric loveliness that my photo can't quite capture!

3 comments:

  1. A devore workshop is on my 'to-do' list. It looks really fascinating! Have a good time with your parents!
    x

    ReplyDelete