Monday, 28 April 2014

My Inheritance.

This is my Nan, Esther Elizabeth Harris.  I've already written about her husband, Bernard, in a previous post. Beautiful wasn't she?  She died when I was a child before she reached her quota of three score years and ten years.  For the last few years she suffered from the aftermath of a dense stroke that left her paralysed and unable to talk properly.    People seemed to have got old in the 1970s really quickly.  It's probably a measure of how hard life was back along.

I pretty much know for certain that I was my Nan's favourite grandchild.  The fact that she gave me a fiver for my birthday and my brother and sister only got fifty pence was a bit of a giveaway.  Of course I felt that this unequal treatment was entirely justifiable!  Anyway I reckoned that she liked me because she saw the potential that I had for being a strong woman.  She was a bit of a tough nut herself  behind that pretty exterior and in spite of no qualifications, had a career at a time when it was not the norm.  I'm not sure that her parenting skills would be considered as up to much in today's terms.  My Dad was left to fend for himself, in pre-Social Services days, from the age of five.  Very different times indeed!



When she died she left me this old electric Singer 99K that she'd promised to pass onto me when I was big enough.  It's still in complete working order even though it must be over sixty years old now.  I have another fancy all singing, dancing machine.  =  For simple sewing that doesn't involve any fancy stitching though it's still the most pleasing machine to use!

1 comment:

  1. She really was beautiful.

    My mum used a machine like that when I was little, I love the sound and the smell of them.

    ReplyDelete