Friday, 18 April 2014

Sharing a Smile

I know that there are some areas of the country where it is considered really odd to engage with the strangers that you meet going about your daily business.  Thankfully, this is largely not the case in the West Country.  People often say hello, smile and even, shock horror!, start up conversations with complete strangers.  In the supermarket I was complimented on the necklace I was wearing and I myself , expressed admiration for a dress that another customer was wearing in a coffee shop.

Svelte Support, my lovely colleague, hit it on the head.  Like myself she smiles and chats to all and sundry.  She said that she doesn't care if some people see this as a bit mad.  That's their problem. Rightfully she pointed out that her interacrtion, might for some be the only meaningful interaction that they have with another human being in a day.  Now there's a thought to spur us all on to getting more smiley and more chatty.

1 comment:

  1. I've had so many more conversations since I got rid of the car - at bus stops and on buses, and smiles and hellos as I've been out walking.I agree that it might be the only interaction somebody has in the day, so I always make the effort.

    ReplyDelete