Monday, 21 April 2014

Words About Walking

Image:  James Walker Tucker 'Hiking'
Do you remember that little jaunt up Saddle Tor that I did a few weeks back before my knee operation?  Just a few hundred yards was a monumental distance for me then but happily, things are changing.  That short hop would be child's play for me now.  I've devised a  walking circuit near my home through the  beautiful mixed woodland near my home that takes in part of the eighteen mile long Templer Way Trail. I'm currently walking   over two miles at a stretch so perhaps soon I'll be able to contemplate the full eighteen mile trek between Teignmouth and Haytor.  Counting chickens before they hatch and all that aside, things are looking good for a return to some serious yomping.  And I've so missed it being one of my primary raisons-d'etre!

I thought that talking about my own rambles was the perfect excuse to point you in the direction of two articles that have been published in the Guardian that may be of interest, to those, like me who label themselves as hikers.  The link under this superb picture celebrates the Ordnance Survey Map, that, though under threat from digital devices as the article suggests, can't surely disappear altogether.  That's just for the simple reason that a paper map is far less fallible than your phone or GPS system.  It doesn't lose signal or run out of battery power!

The other is an article by Carole Cadwalladr, written following her meeting with the French philosopher Frédéric Gros. Like me,  he knows the liberation on all sorts of different levels  that walking can bring.  After all he's written a book about it, A Philosophy of Walking that's due out at the end of the month.  The problem is that poor Monsieur Gros does not have time to put into practice what has discovered from his observation of how great thinkers incorporated walking into their very being. Seemingly he is rather troubled as a consequence. Let's hope that now his book is published he can get back on Shank's pony on a regular basis and experience the benefits that this simple but valuable activity confers.

2 comments:

  1. Somehow that picture brought back memories of the Enid Blyton books that I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree - it is so Enid Blyton!

    ReplyDelete