Monday, 26 May 2014

Dalai Lama and Date Tea

I was back in that spa again yesterday slurping down the free herb teas on offer.  Now you don't need to be a genius to work out which part of the body that a brew of rhubarb, figs and dates might act upon.  Let's hope that it counters all that white bread eating that  I'm doing at the moment!

It wasn't just my body that I was nourishing but my mind got a look in as well.  There's a little library to peruse whilst supping your cuppa and a glossy coffee table book about the Dalai Lama is my favourite sun lounger read.  Now I knew the bloke was a good'un but I hadn't quite appreciated the depth of his wisdom and how it might applicable to me.  Could I be one of the Western women whohe believes might be responsible for effecting change for good in the world?  Let's hope so.

The book is in French, a beautiful tongue which I read far better than I speak.  I surreptitiously photographed quotes from the book in its published language to use to illustrate today's post.   The first is one that suggests that I can indeed make a difference.  From what I understand, the Dalai Lama is saying here that world peace will come about through the efforts of individuals who are at peace with themselves.
Well, I'm working on that even though it may not always look as if I exude serenity so maybe my contribution will bounce its way into the cosmos and add to the whole.

The next quote is harder to enact. All this love and peace stuff is all very well when you're interacting with nice people but the Dalai Lama suggests that we should be trying to get along with those who we don't really want to gel with.  One's that I normally see as more deserving of a jab in the real or metaphorical nadders with a blunt instrrument for example.  'Try to see the best in others so that you can view them in the best light possible.  This immediately creates the sentiment of affinity, a predisposition to establish a link'  he says. Mmm. That's difficult teaching which really gives me something to chew on.


The Dalai Lama sees kindness  as the essential quality that we need to foster and that's the essence of the final quote that I've shown here.  I try to exercise this on a daily basis but a more overt appreciation of their power isn't such a bad thing.  It seems that striving to be conciously compassionate might have to be added to my quest for gratefulness.

3 comments:

  1. Have you come across the lovely speech about kindness by George Saunders?

    http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/george-saunderss-advice-to-graduates/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but I will look it up! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately the people who SHOULD be reading those passages, are the people who won't. We (the peace loving, kindly, folk) should probably read them more often, but the ones who have the most to learn probably can't even read!

    ReplyDelete