Tuesday, 24 June 2014

Devil Duck in Deepest Darkest Dartmoor



No duck was hurt in the making of this video!

Have I told you that my childcare arrangements have changed for the foreseeable future and Louis currently lives with me from Monday through to Friday morning? It's become necessary as  Mr X is working away so can only be home and look after him at weekends.  Let me say that this is not ideal.  It means that I'm the one dealing with all the weekday business-like stuff.  There's no leisurely lie ins or breakfast pancake making sessions on alternate Sundays anymore.  Instead I'm the parent doing all the nagging and kicking him out of the door to school.  But needs must and we've got to make the best of it.

So I'm making a special effort to make sure that we do nice things in the week to make up for lost weekends together.  There's endless opportunities around here to make these long June evenings special.  Yesterday a visit to that  swimming hole on the River Dart again beckoned after a hot day.  Others had come up with the same idea. We didn't have it to ourselves and our companions were quite vocal.  One girl was complaining about what the cold water was doing to her pierced nipples.  Okay, I know that I'm hardly finishing school material but there are limits to what I'll divulge in a loud voice when complete strangers are around!

Afterwards we had tea at one of our favourite pubs, The Rugglestone Inn that's tucked away in a lane just outside Widecombe in the Moor.  It's a great place to go as a family when the weather's fine as there's a lovely beer garden with a stream running along its edge.  Chickens and ducks mingle with the punters.

We've met Devil Duck before.  He goes for people's feet as they walk past as you'll see in this video that was taken by some people on a table near ours.  The voices egging Louis on aren't mine.   Let me say that the serving staff were very grateful that the attention being paid to Louis here meant that their own feet weren't getting pecked!

2 comments:

  1. Devil duck indeedy, I bet he gives a nasty nip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Edge Hill uni - famous for its ducks, devil ones and otherwise. Some of the drakes were absolutely brutal with the females ( ducks not humans!)

    ReplyDelete