Thursday, 19 June 2014

New Me

The observant among you will notice that I've changed my profile picture from this image that I adore.  It's a reminder of a brilliant day in  Barcelona, one of my favourite cities.  The highlight was the visit to the Fundacio Joan Miro, where this photo, and a similar one of Louis, were taken. There we caught Before the Horizons, a  thoroughly inspiring temporary exhibition that I wouldn't have liked to have missed for the world. It replaced getting to see the Sagrada Familia which was way too crowded.  But that's okay. It just means that I have an excuse to pop out to the capital of Catalonia sometime soon to peep inside Gaudi's wacky church that I've been longing to see for so long.   And stuff my face with tapas.  After all I like to eat!

I've decided to retire the old Lovelygrey even though she exudes happiness, hope and has my favourite Doc Marten boots on.  The problem is that I'm wearing that leg brace. Being reliant on it  was the last phase of a long period of poor physical and mental health. It is no more and instead I proudly display brown skin with very neat fading scars over redeveloping muscle  that's replacing the stuff that wasted away.

There's absolutely no doubt that I'm a better therapist because of my experiences and perhaps even a kinder and more compassionate person when I'm not being paid!  I know about fatigue, pain, uncertainty, being restricted and that sense of hopelessness and despondency that depression brings.  Walking in the shoes of others when poorly was maybe the most valuable learning experience that I've ever had. But now illness is no longer a part of my identity and I want to mark the occasion.

The new shot  is the selfie that I took on the moor last month, and is one where I'm leg brace free. Of course you can't see my lower half so have to trust me.  It shows me fit and healthy and marks the start of a life where I can get out there and be active again without thinking about every step that I take, from both physical and mental perspectives for after all I intend to be audacious in many different ways.  Now that's way more appropriate at the moment than a picture of a  girl with a walking aid!

4 comments:

  1. Looking a picture of health, and long may it continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fine occasion for a change! I never noticed the brace in the old picture, but you would always know it was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As good a reason to celebrate as any!

    ReplyDelete