Thursday, 5 June 2014

Thought for the Day: Facing My Own Intolerance.

These wise words came to me via Facebook and I thought that they were well worth sharing. Then I nearly didn't when I found out that Marvin J Ashton had been an elder in the Church of the Latter Day Saints in Salt Lake City Utah.   Stepping back a bit, I was shocked at my own prejudiced automatic thinking and the consequence that could have arisen from it. After all, aren't I supposed to be a well rounded individual who embraces all the differences that humankind throw up?

Well, sometimes it seems not.   A valuable lesson in the need to foster even more acceptance of others is needed.  And if that seems a tall order I should at least be aware that I have the capacity for yes, the dreaded bigotry, and learn to curb it in myself.  Just because I am in disagreement with the belief system of another person doesn't mean that they don't have the capacity to impart high order wisdom or indeed possess a myriad of other good traits.  These words are very special and in delving deeper to find out about who first spoke them, I have made a discovery about treating another with more love, patience, tolerance and care.



1 comment:

  1. I can relate to this. My biggest struggle is probably with ultra-conservativism in either politics or religion. While I can't seem to find any good in it, I struggle to see the people behind the movement.

    ReplyDelete