Friday, 22 August 2014

Everything I Need: The Conclusion

Here's the view from my bedroom window at Ster Greich just before I went to sleep there.  Stunning!  As I've said before I enjoy a life without want in my van. Currently the sea is my bath.  I am squeaky clean albeit salty.  As for Louis, that's an entirely different kettle of fish.  I've stepped down the usual nagging about hygiene while on holiday.  Until he smells it's fine!

New kit in the van is as rare as rocking horse droppings but there have been some additions lately.  The bluetooth speaker, a gas top espresso maker and a couple of replacement cereal bowls have all enhanced motorhome life in a way that doesn't happen in a house.  I'm so much more appreciative of all I have when there's less stuff around me. Odd but true.

I'm as happy as I've ever been living this simple way of life.  And so I've decided, with 99% certainty, to take the plunge, give notice on  Lovelygrey Cottage, put my furniture in storage and live in the van for a while. It will mark a new chapter in my life. Some will think that I'm a little nutty but hey, I've lived with that label perfectly happily for a while now.   I'm spurred on by the idea that you have more regrets about the things that you don't do.   The time is right too.  It's something that Louis is fine with now but unlikely to relish as a teenager in two years time.  

 It'll mean that I can  save hard and also  gives me ultimate flexibility to move back into somewhere with four walls and a roof at short notice with a potential advantage over other buyers or renters.   After all there won't be another property to dispose of when the ideal home materialises. Meantime, through the winter months, the sea may become a bit chilly for ablutions. Friends with nice bathrooms take note.  I might be calling in favours!

7 comments:

  1. It's great you have this option. Very flexible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having had 3 sons, all grown up now, I think you are right about him not being too keen on camper van life as he gets a bit older…..make the most of it. You are lucky to have the option to be able to save. Must look up Ster greich! Never heard of it, but I am sure it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must feel good to have made the decision. We often talk about selling up, buying a campervan and ' spending the girls' inheritance'. Maybe one day it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps. Just tried to look Ster Greich up, can't exactly see where it is, but it is obviously in an area of Brittany that we went to on our Eurocamp holidays with the boys many years ago…..we had some great holidays. Have you been to the Pink Granite coast? I think that is what it is called…on the north coast. We had a week, twice I think, and there are rocks that looks like animals etc. I am so jealous that you are there !! We are going to the Dorset coast for a few days in a couple of weeks, so I shall see the sea! Not seen it since January in Suffolk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ster Greich is an inlet near Tregunc. It's quite isolated and one of my favourite spots on the world. And I can park my van there for free! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and the Pink Granite Coast is up there too. That's my annual Whitsun holiday spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done for making the decision, that will free up your mind to concentrate on other things.

    ReplyDelete