Wednesday, 27 August 2014

Murderer!

I am one of those people who are of the opinion that if you eat animals then you must be prepared to kill them.  However up to now I've been all mouth and no trousers on this front.  Lou's new fishing hobby has made me revisit this idea though.  That beautiful sea bass that he is going to catch at sometime is going to have to meet its maker at one or other of our hands.

Yesterday I lost my killing cherry. That's aside from the flies, mozzies and wasps that I'm unable to coax out of windows. They meet their maker at my reluctant hands and  I always feel a bit bad.   A fishmonger visits the campsite in the evening.   I chose sardines for tea that had already been decapitated and were ghoulishly dripping blood. Nothing that a rare steak eater can't handle.  Lou opted for the langoustines that were still merrily waving their claws around. 'How many do you want?' I asked.  'Seven.' he replied 'Six to eat and one to keep as a pet!'

In spite of a plea from Ollie, Lou's newest friend, to save the crustacean with the most appealing eyes  as a domestique, all went in the pot, boiled for two minutes after I'd thanked them for their sacrifice. Very delicious they were too. The experience brought me nearer to my hunter gatherer roots and that's no bad thing in a world where pre prepared food is the norm.


3 comments:

  1. I don't think I could have done that, but I bet they were great to eat! I know what you mean about killing insects..sometimes it just has to be done, but I always feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They taste so much better that way than having been frozen and transported from Thailand don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I don't buy Far Eastern fish. x

      Delete