Monday, 4 August 2014

Red Mel

Here's Red Mel, one of my dearest friends, doing an impression of that bird off of 'Titanic'.   She had shared a bottle of champagne with me prior to the shot being taken which might account for her sense of abandon.   We then  went on to try out every real ale in her local, aided and abetted by Random Stranger who we invited to tag along with us after finding him drinking alone in the beer garden.  We're sociable like that.  Very woolly heads greeted us when we both woke up on Sunday morning.

The reason for the reverie was that Red Mel leaves Devon tomorrow for a new life in Bristol.  It means that she'll be able to spend more time with her close family, including her tot-aged granddaughter.  I'm very excited at the prospect of having somewhere to stay in one of my favourite cities and reckon that we'll see each other just as much as we do now.  In fact, next weekend we're off together to locate my motorhome that's parked somewhere in a remote field in Wiltshire.  It's vaguely near Glastonbury Abbey where we're going to see Robert Plant in concert so will do as our sleepover spot.

Red Mel's been around in my life for seventeen years since we met at occupational therapy college. We share lots of values, leftie political leanings, a love of creativity, travel and music and most importantly a sense of the ridiculous. There's been lots to laugh about over the years. The 'hot crotch' incident in Edinburgh that sadly I wasn't allowed to capture for posterity on camera  has to be one of the funniest moments in my life and she was there to share it.

So, egged on by me and others,  Red Mel has taken the plunge and completely transformed her life. I'm reassuring her  that she's doing the right thing.   I, on the other hand, am staying put in my job and my present home. 'You've made active decisions to keep things as they are for the moment. That can be just as positive as making changes' Mel told me.  She is a very wise woman indeed.

1 comment: