Tuesday, 23 September 2014

A Date with Dahl


A while back I posted some quotes from Dr Seuss. that we might all be better for taking heed of. Today it's the turn of Roald Dahl  to impart some words of wisdom to teach, not just our children, but us adults how we might bumble along better in life.

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” The Minpins

“I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.”  Fantastic Mr Fox

“I was glad my father was an eye-smiler. It meant he never gave me a fake smile because it's impossible to make your eyes twinkle if you aren't feeling twinkly yourself. A mouth-smile is different. You can fake a mouth-smile any time you want, simply by moving your lips. I've also learned that a real mouth-smile always has an eye-smile to go with it. So watch out, I say, when someone smiles at you but his eyes stay the same. It's sure to be a phony.”  Danny: The Champion of the World


“I shall never have a bath again," I said. 
"Just don't have one too often," my grandmother said. "Once a month is quite enough for a sensible child." It was at times like these that I loved my grandmother more than ever.”


“A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.” Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

“I began to realize how important it was to be an enthusiast in life. He taught me that if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it and above all become passionate about it. Lukewarm is no good. Hot is no good either. White hot and passionate is the only thing to be.”  My Uncle Oswald

She might even be your lovely school-teacher who is reading these words to you at this very moment. Look carefully at that teacher. Perhaps she is smiling at the absurdity of such a suggestion. Don't let that put you off. It could be part of cleverness.
I am not, of course, telling you for one second that your teacher actually is a witch. All I am saying is that she might be one. It is most unlikely. But--here comes the big "but"--not impossible.  The Witches

“When you grow up and have children of your own, do please remember something important: A stodgy parent is not fun at all! What a child wants - and DESERVES - is a parent who is SPARKY!” Danny: The Champion of the World 

“There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be.” Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

“When writing about oneself, one must strive to be truthful. Truth is more important than modesty.” 
Boy: Tales of Childhood

“Careful those who fight with monsters, that they might become monsters themselves.” 

I do hope that I am a sparky parent....oh and an eye smiler as well!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely! I read Pongwiffy at the weekend. I enjoy reading children's books from time to time to escape the adult world and I agree that's there's a lot of wisdom contained in them. Winnie the Pooh read as an adult has some gems.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some wise words there. I am definitely not a lukewarm person! And I am also a 'sparky' parent with the occassional 'stodgy' moments ;p.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! That Roald Dahl. What an odd fellow.

    ReplyDelete