Friday, 17 October 2014

Skinny v. Plump


Weight loss has been at a standstill for a couple of months due to injury.  Knee pain brought jogging, an exercise within my prescribed exercise plan, to an abrupt halt a few weeks back. Then that twisted ankle is still niggling which means I'm currently even more restricted.  I met my physiotherapist in our hospital reception area when we were both picking up patients. 'Do you know when I passed you in the corridor the other day and said I was okay?'  I 'fessed up. 'Well, I'm not!'  He was unfazed. Apparently setbacks are the norm after cruciate repair  and the perky, positive attitude  that I've adopted has no effect on biomechanical restoration.  It's just a matter of letting healing happen in its own time.  The sprain's likely to take three months to get better. Bah!

Consequently weight loss has come to a halt.  As I love my food and tipples  I've decided to become more philosophical about body shape.  The toning up will happen when I'm able to get moving properly again.  As for the weight that I envisaged that I wanted to get to when I started dieting, well, this photo has made me rethink that.

Salty Dog sent me the  picture  above that she took ten years ago on an adventurous sailing holiday to the Scillies.  We came back in very rough seas and that Beaufort Scale number goes up every time we tell the story! Here,  I'm in a bar on the little island of St Martin's adopting a very similar pose to the one in my recent profile picture that I've popped back here for easy comparison. I thought I wanted to be that thin again.  What shocked and surprised me was that I prefer how I look now. There may be a bit more blubber but I like my curvier shape. It's way more girlie.  The hair under that hat is a lot more grey too but I love it.  What's more my friends all agree that I prefer me this way too. Apparently I look way funkier and I'm liking that. Funky when you're nearing fifty is good.  I don't fit the stereotypical skinny mini shape that we're all meant to aspire to but  really don't give two hoots!

So that target has been revised upwards. Yes, I want to shed some of those extra pounds but it's just a few now. I'm  nearly happy the way I am.  That weight loss can happen at its own pace.  It will because I'm very active when I'm not laid up with a poorly leg. So  I'm not going to deny myself the rather lovely calories in those glasses of wine. They'll cheer me up while I'm waiting for recovery.

7 comments:

  1. Its great to have soft bits! You look fab in both pics but I like the last better. Enjoy! I had a silly idea about being the same weight I was when I was 25. Stoopid. I am 41. I look better with some padding under the wrinkles! I know folk who are still incredibly skinny and the same weight at 40+ as when they were younger. I find them a bit scraggy to be honest. 8 stone unless you are tiny person is just a bit scrawny. Love life, enjoy the wine be active. Init great~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My manager yesterday called fat botox for oldies. I like that! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great.xx

    PS - Have just read 'Tales from Beyond The Nook' and have left comment, am a bit worried about what she has written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am blessed with a round face too- it's much less ageing. I agree with all of the comments above.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fine, but if you want to lose a few pounds, you could try the 5 : 2 diet (you can find it online). It worked for me and my 86 year old mom (who has yo-yo dieted all her life), she lost 2 stone and has kept it off. We both found it really easy to stick to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do 5:2 diet intermittently. Got out of habit on French holiday. Will get back to it soon x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was skinny until I retired but now I have reached a weight that I am happy with and I have a behind to sit on comfortably.

    ReplyDelete