Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Week 1: A Spot of Bother Already!

Yesterday evening was chaotic. Not only did my watermelon eating blue eyed boy arrive on site to join me in my new motorhome living adventure but I realised that my leisure battery had stopped charging. The consequences of this were that I had mains power for my fridge and traditional plug in devices but no hot or cold water, toilet flush or lighting. For six years now my trusty second power supply, that is topped up by solar energy, has been operating without me giving it so much as a thought.

Luckily my new neighbours, including the very kind site owners, came out in force.  They are superstars and recognise a damsel in distress when they see one.  I know when it is to my advantage to play the helpless girlie.  For some reason Lou was whisked off to the shop to keep him warm and came back laden with free chocolate and a can of Fanta.  A caravan maintenance guy was called and he fixed me up with a temporary solution until a new charger can be sourced. Cosiness was restored.

I wasn't expecting a crisis, and a relatively expensive one at that, in the first week.  After all, I don't just prettify my van but maintain all the technical gubbins as well.  What I like is that, unlike a rental property where I was at the landlord's mercy to do repairs, I'm in control and can arrange to get things fixed without a long wait.  That to me, is yet another advantage of my new way of life.


6 comments:

  1. And it chose the coldest day/night so far to fail! Only 2 C overnight here in Hertfordshire last night. Had to dig out my woolly hat yesterday afternoon for the dog walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was really cold. And doors kept on having to be open/shut. Good for building character though! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that folks rallied round to help you. Hope you can get a permanent fix sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing that can't be sorted even though it doesn't feel like that at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I've worked out is disaster makes for a good story later down the line! Thanks all x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You simply have the right attitude to overcome disaster, well done!

    ReplyDelete