Saturday, 13 December 2014

Disco on the Devon Expressway

I like to think that people laugh with me rather than at me but sometimes....'What the  hell was going down on the A38?' asked Disco Queen Vikki, a festival going partner in crime  as I trawled up for the team meeting. She was giggling her socks off. 'I passed  you and pulled up in front  but couldn't get your attention as you were singing and dancing in a little world of your own.' Ah! she'd witnessed one of the in-car virtual concerts where I join in with the words, tap the steering wheel, have a bit of a wiggle and click my fingers. Perfectly safely I may add. I think I'd be spotted  reliving Genesis at Wembley in 1981.  Even a traffic jam is never boring when a woman has Spotify  at her fingertips.

On the way to see an excellently entertaining lady who told me how she'd burnt her fingers as a child in London collecting shrapnel after air raids, I successfully introduced Mr Anonymous from Guyana to Rodriguez . He liked him and  his story.  We had a wonderful converstion about how important music was to us.  We agreed how a tune could be chosen to reflect mood at a particular time and could induce feelings of having empathy for a particular mind state.  And then we got onto how lyrics could lend words to a particular experience and how they sometimes had the power to teach or get intertwined into  the narrative of our own lives.  All good stuff that beats chatting about Eastenders.

I suppose I've got to choose a song after that.  So which one?  This is a goodie that'll do the trick.  It stirs up good anger, and there is such a thing, and reminds me to stand up against inequality on the frequent occasions that I need to.


10 comments:

  1. I like to chant in the car...a few funny looks...who cares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely as my brother says they're probably never going to see you ever again x

      Delete
  2. If more people sang, less crashes-singing out loud keeps people fresh. I read that once on how to keep awake while driving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spoke about this in a comment on my blog. I sing very tunelessly in my car at the top of my lungs. I have a cassette (yep a cassette) of Bros. I relive my teenage years. it always gets me going. singing really lifts you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When will I, will I be famooooouuuuuusssss.

      the machine does eat the tapes eventually and as I have had the car for over 10 years it feels wrong to change the tape player for a cd. maybe in the summer I might go to a car boot and see if I can find any more cassettes! Brighten Me-me up. (me me is the noise her horn makes)

      Delete
    2. In your honour I might find Bros on Spotify tomorrow and sing along on the way to my first 9am visit. Love the name Me me xx

      Delete
  4. I always used to sing in the car, loudly and tunelessly! I often have the radio on at home and sing along, reliving my youth mostly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well thanks all! Just to say I'm glad I'm not the only one larging it up in the car. x

    ReplyDelete