Tuesday, 16 December 2014

More From The Boy Who Can't Draw

My boy is back.  The motorhome is a noisier, chaotic yet more ebulliently joyful place for a couple of days.  It has perked me up no end.

Louis brought with him his art homework to finish. He's created a repeat pattern of golden jellyfish which have been filled in using those smeary coloured pencils. The whole A3 sheet has taken him hours to do. Both of us are pleased with it.

I've shown this as encouragement to anybody else out there who, like my son, says they can't draw.   Sure, this pattern is naive like his other work that adorns the door of my motorhome .  He's probably never going to be someone who can produce life-like realism at the drop of a hat.  But that doesn't stop him being creative.  And that is something that I'm really dead keen to foster.

8 comments:

  1. Great pattern and choice of colours. Most people could draw if they practised...they wouldn't expect to play the piano, say, without practising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told Lou about your comment and he told me that an expert started out as a beginner!

      Delete
  2. I love doodling. I cant draw well. but at doodling I am an Olympian!

    I would have that transferred to some material. It would make a cool cushion. I wonder if you could do it with fabric paint on a cheap white duvet set from primark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will think about that idea carefully when I have a house again and need lots more soft furnishing x

      Delete
  3. He most certainly can draw, and should be encouraged. I see a childrens book illustrator in the making. Take a look at this site. Nick Sharratt started drawing when he was nine.
    http://nicksharratt.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very familar with Nick Sharratt already. He is brilliant and the author of one of Louis' favourite books when he was littler. I did a post on it backalong

      http://lovelygreyday.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/you-choose.html

      Delete
  4. Let him keep his natural ability, don't let teachers put him in a straight-jacket of learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a very straight jacketty kind of person! x

      Delete