Monday, 22 December 2014

More, More, More, More, More?

Photo: Pierre Selim
At this time of year when wanton materialism is encouraged even more than usual in the High Street I thought I'd share this interesting article about the super rich.It talks about multi-millionaires who still feel financially insecure even though their average net worth is $78 million.   No doubt many of them would look down on me disparingly from the deck of their super-yacht if I was parked up on the quay somewhere nearby in my 6 x 2 metre twenty year old home on wheels. But honestly, without a trace of irony in my typewritten voice, if they were as discontented and anxious as is suggested,  I would felt sorry for them. For it seems that I am in emotional terms I am far richer.

The piece contains a lovely quote  about a family that had just enough from a 1873 novel 'The Gilded Age' that I'd never come across.   I think it describes the position that my boy and I are in.

Having only riches enough to be able to gratify reasonable desires, and yet make their gratifications always a novelty and a pleasure, the family occupied that just mean in life which is so rarely attained, and still more rarely enjoyed without discontent.

And for the Christian millionaire who won't feel secure until he has a billion in the bank, perhaps I could remind him of the words of the big beardy guy in a white dress.

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?  Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

Those robins around here are looking mighty fine and healthy at the moment without a pocketful of dosh!

3 comments:

  1. 'Just mean in life' is a great state to aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said m'dear. I certainly would not want millions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emotionally rich. I like that. It's an apt description for me and J, and I know that the happiness and contentment we feel is priceless. I wouldn't swap that for any amount of money.

    ReplyDelete