Tuesday, 2 December 2014

Suzanne


Ha! I bet that after reading that title, some of my regular readers thought that I was going to write about the legendary Leonard Cohen for I am his No.1 fan.  Actually, I don't really want to make that claim. The holder of that accolade would probably be way more weird and stalker-esque than I am, hanging around outside stage doors worldwide and sending Len unsolicited presents.....like pants!  I do nothing of the sort and just admire from afar.  After all, dignity is my middle name, unless I've been on the lash!

No, although 'Suzanne' is a rather famous song it's not the topic of today's little musing.  In my journeys around the South Hams over the last few days, all snuggly because I'm making full use of those heated seats in the Citigo that I knew would come in jolly handy, I'm listening to early Suzanne Vega and reliving my angst filled youth.   Believe me, I did angst well in those days.  If I had a working wand, rather than the ineffectual ones from Louis' magic kits, I'd sod the consequences of messing with the space-time continuum, turn back the years and cast a spell to make my younger self a happier bunny.

Vega's music has stood the test of time and suits the slightly melancholic mood I'm currently dipping in and out of, that's probably come on as a consequence of these short SAD inducing December days. Best dig out my special lamp for a boost of extra lux.  I packed it under the back seat of the van just in case.   Anyway,  I forgot that this song had been a favourite.  It's stark and beautiful but dark. Now I know that we have to protect ourselves from the vagaries of men.  After all, they're unfathomable beasties.  But killing to nip becoming involved with one in the bud?  Now that really is rather extreme!

4 comments:

  1. It's a long time since I heard that one and yes, it has stood the test of time. You can take it so many ways...this time the 'queen' shouted 'politician' to me. And wouldn't it be good to play guitar like that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her and Tracy Chapman used to be favourites of mine.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I thought it was Len related. Waiting for delivery of new DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Tracey Chapman! If I'm angsty tomorrow that could be my listening! My guitar playing is dire due to dyspraxic tendencies. Leonard Live in Dublin. Hope its as good as London concert x

    ReplyDelete