Sunday, 7 December 2014

The Darkness

Ha!  The second trap for Leonard Cohen fans that I've set in a week.  Today's title does not refer to the intensely gloomy track from the 2012 album 'Old Ideas' which is a tuneful warning about the possible consequences of getting involved with someone who is depressive.  It's clever and insightful but I have to skip it in the car  if I'm determined to keep those happy vibes intact. It's just so glum.

No, today's post refers to the darkness that falls at night.  Incidentally have your guys seen the moon over the last few days?    I've pointed out how lovely it looks to Lou and he's suitably impressed.  Obviously he's been given the essential gumph about what it's made of but we're trying to work out what kind of cheese that would be.  It can't be anything like brie or camembert.  At the first sign of sunshine the moon would be slipping down the sky.  Perhaps it's a very good cheddar, one of those that I particularly like with the little rough crystals of salt dotted through it.  In lieu of a photograph this is a 15th century map by Johannes Helvelius.  It's rather beautiful don't you think?

In spite of the long dark nights that the moon heralds, insomnia has revisited,  If you've seen a woman in Totnes Fore Street at lunchtime tripping over the bags under her eyes that's me.  But for the last couple of nights, I've had a good night.  My bedtime routine has changed. I've sacrificed the scene of rather pretty twinkly lights through the trees that is the view from the window at the foot end of my bed. Now, I try to get rid of as much light as possible from my sleeping area.  All the blinds have been shut tight, phones and laptops have been relegated to the cab and I've covered the green fridge light in the main motorhome living area with a scrap of fabric.  And it's worked.  Last night I slept for a full seven hours and I've woken up perky!  So, I nipped around the Internet to try and find an article to explain why this might be.  Here's the one that I liked the best.

6 comments:

  1. Another reason for not sleeping solidly at night, as I have found out, is our hormones. 'Women of a certain age' tend to wake up through the night for no particular reason. And it is not because of the umpteen hot flushes/night sweat they may have. I crave the night when I don't wake up till I have had 6 or 7 hours sleep. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the hormones too. I'm of that certain age as well. The darkness helped though! x

      Delete
  2. It's such a faff when I have to get up at night, but when I've got to go, I've got to go. Squeezing out from under the duvet is a military operation, do not disturb the two furry sleeping bodies, one on each side. It's no wonder I get cramp in the night as I try and turn over. I leave a chink of open in the curtains so the street light shines through, I used to be scared of the dark when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be lovely to sleep for 7 or 8 hours and wake up feeling...well, awake. The darkness thing has to be worth a try. I found a clock the other day which only lights up when you tap it; maybe I'll try one of those. The green glow of our clock radio is horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing glows in my bedroom except for a small amount of orange light from a street lamp and even that disturbs me. I have tried for the last 20 years to exclude it but nothing works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about those fetching eye masks like they give you on a plane. I'm considering one of those too. After all I sleep alone and don't have to be alluring!

      Delete