Monday, 19 January 2015

A Bloody Great Metaphorical Pea!

Do you know what my worst motorhome chore is?  It's not the overstated horror of emptying the Porta Potti or going to fetch water. I quite like that one unless it's really cold when my fingers are prone to freezing. No, the job I dislike the most is changing my above cab bed.  Fighting a duvet in a conventional home wasn't my idea of bliss but in limited space it's no fun at all.  'Do it outside' I hear the sensible among you cry. Yes, I had thought of that but I always seem to pick a time to do the job when the rain is beating down outside.  I don't fancy soggy bedding.  Putting the sheet on a mattress that's high in the sky adds another dimension of trickiness too.

Once it's all finally done and dusted there's the reward of clean, crisp sheets in the cosy  skybound nook where I read, meditate and  give myself  what seem to be increasingly effective sessions of reiki self healing.  I'm also supposed to sleep like a log up there. Except again it's not happening.  I'm waking at three in the morning.  It would be okay if I was worrying my little head off.  Then I'd have a reason for this nonsense.  But there's nothing major that I'm aware of going on in my normally chilled little mind.

In desperation I turned to a very famous herbal  remedy to try to establish my preferred pattern of sleeping through for six and a half or seven hours.  And what do you know?  It actually worsened the problem.  I lay awake trying to get to sleep at normal bedtime for about two whole hours feeling decidedly edgy.  None of that will be passing my lips ever again.

YouTube has been my friend in regard to steering me back to the land of Nod during those  early morning hours.  Ever the experimenter I've been trying out some lucid dreaming audio sessions. No one of these has emerged as a favourite at the moment but your own Google search will reveal loads if you're interested.  With practice, so I'm told, I will be able to steer my own course through my dreams.    It's certainly increased the night-time cinematic experiences and I'm remembering what I've viewed on that screen behind my eyes though I don't choose the movie as yet.  What I'm seeing is outside my control and whilst not outwardly scary it's mostly weird nonsense.  Does that reflect a deeply disturbed inner psyche?   How the hell am I suppose to know!  I'm only a mere mental health practitioner.   A friend the other day described me as a free spirited essential rather than truly unhinged and my brother told me that I was not flaky in any shape or form.  I liked their kind words which I'll count as evidence in support of my sanity. However if my nocturnal life suggests something else it's probably better out than in!

7 comments:

  1. Glad you're enjoying the Reiki - I'm a practitioner too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am really surprised that the strength of sensation is getting stronger through practice. Probably shouldn't be though! x

      Delete
  2. I do not understand why dreams are so bizarre. How do disconnected thoughts, events, and people crash together in nonsense. Are you already caffeine free? I found my sleep worsened when I cut it completely. Now, I quit by 1:00 and have been easily falling and staying asleep a good 7 hours+.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe there is a good reason why we don't remember our dreams most of the time! You don't sound unhinged at all. I'd enjoy a better night's sleep too, though after a really late night on Saturday and a long walk yesterday. I did sleep well last night. No caffeine...or alcohol definitely helps, I find alcohol an even worse culprit than caffeine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Know all about caffeine and alcohol. They're not what's causing it. I think extra exercise might be helpful and I'm looking at how to fit that into busy, busy routine. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the "famous herbal remedy" you tried to help you sleep was Valerian or contained traces of Valerian, you may be one of the unfortunate few who find the herb makes them hyper rather than a sedative. One in 12 people react this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that will be it then. I am the 1 in 12! Thanks for enlightening me. x

      Delete