Friday, 30 January 2015

Pilot Fish of Pneumonia, I Spurn Thee!

I spoke too soon.   Seemingly minutes after I'd stopped tapping away on the keyboard the other day when I boasted about being in rude health, the tickle in the throat started.  Ha!  Serves me right for having too much faith in all that hocus-pocus.  It's not too bad.  I'm a bit snuffly and when I speak it sounds like I'm just about to enter a Mariella Frostrup or Betty Boothroyd impersonation competition.  I think I could be a contender for first place.

I went onto Wikipedia in search of a pretty picture of the common cold virus but quickly settled on this beautiful piece of 1930s silk screening instead. The advice that is given would strike fear into the modern NHS. Imagine if we all scurried off to the GP every time we had this, the most common of upper respiratory tract infections?  I'd have been living there when Lou was a toddler.  His snuffles were so frequent that I thought that someone had something seriously against me and had deposited a mini germ warfare agent into the house.

Instead of taking to my bed, I'm going to stock up with Lemsips and some of those lovely smelly Olbas tissues.  No doubt I'll get told off for coming into work to spread germs that have already been doing the rounds over the last couple of months.  Taking the lead from male colleagues  I may well try to drum up a little sympathy by moaning about how poorly I am in my new found deep voice that has way more sex appeal than my usual higher pitched estuarine tinged twang.   What's almost 99% certain is that my illness isn't heralding in a bout of pneumonia.  It's just a cold!

4 comments:

  1. Stay well- looking forward to seeing you next week. Will be in touch
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK - will try to ditch the cold by then x

      Delete
  2. oh boy - do I know how you feel - I've got it for the third time in 7 weeks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless! It struck down Scary Secretary with a vengence. I'm fighting, fighting so as not to go under. Get well soon!

      Delete