Tuesday, 6 January 2015

Problems with My Waterworks

Please don't be alarmed.  There are no euphemisms here! This isn't a post where I'm going to disclose way too much information about a defective urinary system that coughs and splutters well yep, every time that I cough and splutter. That's all fine, thanks very much, in spite of having gone through childbirth which is prone to mucking it up.  To prove it, unlike, one of my mates, I can have a jolly good bounce on a trampoline without incident. No today I'm going to talk about a few hiccups with the motorhome's plumbing rather than my own.

Salty Dog, who's lived on a boat, warned me that things might go wrong rather more often than I'd like living in a small space. And she wasn't half wrong!  There's been a non charging leisure battery and a cutlery drawer impressively spouting  toothpastey water  that I've already told you about.   A shedload of dangerous chemicals sorted out that puppy. But  I didn't mention that I accidentally left the converter on my British gas bottle when I bought a refill and didn't find out until the French one ran out halfway through cooking. Oops! My gas barbecue became my main cooking source for a few days until the hard to find replacement that had to be sourced online came in the post.  I've also found out that you can't be thrifty with toilet paper when it comes to a Porta Potti.  To avoid drama when it comes to emptying them you really do have to buy the disintegrating stuff from the camping shop that costs a pound a roll.  Don't think you're get arse cosseting softness for that kind of money either. It isn't quite Izal,  that scratchy bum wipe beloved of 1970's school caretakers, but its not way off.

Before going away on a little tour of Britain I decided that I'd fill the water tank of my four wheeled home. To save time when I got back.  Hmm!  Famous last words.  On return the van was making a strange rumbling sound.  Further investigation revealed that its water pump was going for England and there was no water left at all.  So much for forethought! Could water pipes have burst in the freezing temperatures because the tank was too full.  Water gushing out from the chassis when I tried to refill the tank wasn't a good sign.   Pound signs started to pass before my eyes as I contemplated the cost of repair.

After a bit of research and a chat with my new 'best friend', the amazingly calm Phil the Motorhome Repairman, it seems that Klaus the Knaus  is way more sensible than me.  He has a special trick up his sleeve when the temperature gets too cold.  He opens a  valve  and dumps all his water before ice forms in his pipes.  Now isn't that nifty!

In sharing stories about life in a motorhome aren't I supposed to be creating a picture of a darn near perfect simple existence?   Well I've certainly blown it here, haven't I?  Let me say that I don't regret taking this particular path in life one little bit and would encourage those who have a similar dream to do the same.  In the main it's lovely.  Just expect the idyll to be shattered now and then by those nubby little problems that are part and parcel of any life.

9 comments:

  1. Living with French Plumbing; it's an adventure EVERY DAY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes I've seen those teeny pipes!

      Delete
  2. I hope your tubes get fixed quickly! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Louise they're fine now. Both types! Bounce on a trampoline seems imminent xx

      Delete
  3. Once you know your enemy, life gets easier! I remember Izal, too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've never used any special paper in any porta potti we've had in any motorhome or caravan or when we were living without a loo in the house for 4 months. The cheapest value stuff from Tesco disintigrates pretty well. Avoid anything quilted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering whether my 'green' loo disinfectant is the culprit and doesn't do the hob of breaking down the paper (or other solids!) ! as well as a more robust chemical. Will try value roll though!

      Delete
  5. We have returned early from Europe to investigate our 'motorhome niggles' - the main one being that our 12v system seems incapable of running anything more than a single light without the overload warning cutting in. Not much fun last night when on an aire with no electricity and no fan running on the gas heating. Even the water pump was causing problems!

    Re: toilet paper - look away now if any readers are squeamish -
    we place toilet paper (and ladies items) in value nappy sacks which get thrown away daily with rubbish. I figured that in many places in Europe the paper gets put into a bin at the side of the toilet, so as long as ours is wrapped there is no problem.

    ReplyDelete