Friday, 9 January 2015

Slow Cooked Pork Mk 1

Every time I use my slow cooker I feel like alchemy is involved.  Just chuck in a load of uncooked ingredients, leave the unappetising gloop to simmer away whilst I earn a crust and voila!  When I come home there's a feast awaiting me with hardly any effort at all. It's a miracle!

That beautiful organic pork tenderloin that I was gifted by the Second Martha Stewart deserved respectful treatment.   After all a piggy gave its life so we could eat.  So I went in search of a recipe to do it justice and I found this one for Balsamic Pork Tenderloin.

If I was living in the house I would have had most of those ingredients and could have followed the instructions word for word.  In a motorhome though those store cupboard essentials  are very pared down indeed.  I have to be inventive as I don't want my storage space bursting at the seams with stuff I'll rarely use.  Here's my own improvised take on the recipe.

Gather together the following and stick in a slow cooker


  • One pork tenderloin:  If you're feeding more people you could bung in an extra one or two without adapting the other measurements. There's enough juicy liquid to do that.
  • A mugful of chicken stock made with a Kallo stock cube:;  If you're following the way I'm doing it to the letter, make sure that the cube is not properly dissolved and is still stuck in the bottom of the mug when you add the liquid to the slow cooker.
  • 1 teaspoon of English Mustard powder (Colman's of course)
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (Yep, you guessed it, Lea and Perrins)
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1/2 mugful of balsamic vinegar
  • 3 cloves of crushed garlic
  • Some good slugs of freshly ground salt and pepper


Give it a good stir, mainly to dissolve that stubborn stock cube.   Then cook on low for nine hours. After that amount of time it fell apart.  As you see I served it in wraps with cucumber sticks and a little dab of mayonnaise.  The 475g tenderloin made seven wraps.

The recipe was lovely and got the thumbs up from me, Louis and the colleagues I shared it with.  I took some of the wraps in for their lunch.   One ingredient, however, dominated the flaviour. The clue was in its name and the amount of balsamic added to the pot.  Mk II will dumb down that vinegary taste but is so easy-peasy and tasty it will definitiely be added to the motorhome meal repertoire.



4 comments:

  1. That sounds gorgeous. I am about to cook my first ever whole chicken in my SC at the weekend with lemon and tarragon.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might try this...with a couple of teaspoons of vinegar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd go for tablespoons but increase the sweetness and the Worcester Sauce x

      Delete