Friday, 23 January 2015

The Final Frontier

I've been thinking about space recently.  No, not celestial bodies and the vast gaps between them that today's rather pretty picture might suggest. Content in my compact, cosy little home, I've been mulling over why most people, me included when I'm living a conventional life, think that they need vast expanses of living accommodation through which to roam like a furless wildebeest.

I asked around yesterday and two themes emerged.  People say that they need space to put their stuff. Admittedly I miss my paintings and other bits of treasured artiness but that's about all.  There's also something about having somewhere to wander around that's entirely their own.  However I'm no longer worried about the exclusivity of the space that I inhabit. I'm perfectly happy to populate shared places like the moor, a beach a library or sacred building if I need to stretch out beyond the van.

One day I hope to meet someone.  He will be kind, funny, smart,  principled and, no doubt  a tad kooky.   I'll not settle for less.   If it works out we might even have to share a normal home that doesn't have wheels.  A little extra floor area might be needed as I'm a stickler for that personal space stuff.  I'll admit to needing time alone behind a closed door in a little nook or cranny that's my very own.  But for the moment, that  area of around 24 cubic metres that  I share with an eleven year old half the time, now seems perfectly adequate.

8 comments:

  1. You seem to have van life perfectly organised. Do you think organising is the key to happily living with less space? Husband and I live in small 2 bed house...feels about right to us and not too many loos to clean!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely good organisation is part of it but its also about choosing a cleverly designed place to live whether it be a house or a motorhome. My last marital home had an enormous living room yet was difficult to furnish because there were so many doors and entrances. x

      Delete
  2. I like a three bedroom house to wander around, but I am getting rid of clutter because I have too much, and it's annoying me when I can't find anything. More stuff for the charity shop today. I am also used to living in small spaces, can't get much smaller than a lorry cab.

    How long are you going to be in your van for, because I wouldn't mind coming down there to see how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least until the end of May but will go on until Louis starts to complain. He's looking forward to having camping sleepovers with his friends so that's a carrot that will keep us on the road until the summer. You'd be very welcome to come and see what van life is like x

      Delete
    2. Would love to, will try and fit a trip down south in the coming months. Could put my tent up next door :o)

      Delete
  3. If I did not sew I would only need a tenth of the space that I now use. I am not sure that I could manage in such a small space unless I was going to work though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would need more space for crafting if I didn't work. Room for an exercise bike and therapy table would be good as well but am happy to compromise for the time being.

      Delete
  4. Funnily enough my chum and were talking about this last night as she and her OH are about to embark on having an empty nest after 23 years of bringing up a family [they had their first child in the first 18 months of meeting] and will have a three bedroomed house to themselves. They think they may downsize. Arilx

    ReplyDelete